Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dead Trees


Ten years ago I was driving through the country heading to a near by town. There was a dead tree that immediately captured my attention. I slowed down to take in all of the details of this carcass of a tree. It had been a tall strong tree when it was alive and yet some how the strength remained even in death. Most of the limbs had fallen to the ground surrounding the base of the trunk with decay. The stubs of limbs still attached, pushed up into the clear blue sky, the contrast between life and death was mesmerizing. I continued on my journey, and yet the vision of the tree followed me.

Every time I drove by that tree it was just as powerful. Over the years the tree continued to decay, limb after limb falling to the ground, yet somehow it still retained the magical beauty of the first time I saw it. I began to notice more dead trees, each one unique, all incredibly moving. Through the years I kept telling myself, "one day you need to get some photos" and yet talk myself out of actually doing it.

Yesterday I took action. With camera and tripod in hand I hopped in my truck and took off on a slow cruise looking for dead trees. I started out down the road wondering if the first tree was still there, as I don't drive that road very often. I found the tree...it was a pile of rotting wood. I slowed down and paused to remember the inspiration that tree had given me so many years ago.

Three hours and a few miles later, I had 60 photographs of dead trees. After uploading the photos I decided this shoot was just a beginning as I will carry my camera in my truck and I will take the time to capture this phenomenon every time it moves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment