Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Power of Sharing

Sharing is such a simple act. We acknowledge when others do it, and feel good about ourselves when we participate in the gesture. Is there more to this practice of sharing than feeling good? I believe there is. All relationships depend upon communication, this is a form of sharing. Could it be said that this exchange of words and feelings is the glue that bonds people together? Granted the intent of the exchange is important to understand. Communication in the form of demands can cause problems, as choice has been eliminated.

I have witnessed the power of sharing in the Landmark Forum. From sharing in a group, with a partner, or observing others share and being engaged in what is going on. It produces a sense of connection to something larger than ourselves. Sharing gives us access to a potent force that can have a profound affect on not only ourselves, but others as well.

A perfect example. My Mother is a technophobe in the most extreme sense of the word. I can remember my sister buying a CD player and some CD's for my Mom many years ago. Although she loves music she would not touch the player, it was information overload, causing her to shut down. The CD player did nothing but collect dust.

This past Christmas my sister, Lesley and her husband, came home for the holidays. She had a new I-phone that she was showing us. Lesley took advantage of having an internet connection by showing Mom a music video on You Tube. Lesley picked a tune from the early 70's that Mom had a strong connection to. Mom became interested instantly, and Lesley played another video. Then to engage Mom Lesley ask her to pick a song. Mom thought for a second and came up with a title, Lesley found the song and played it. Mom then came up with another title Lesley found it and played it.

We were all sitting in the living room and the anticipated football game came on, so the focus in the room changed, but Mom was still coming up with song titles and Lesley was running them down on the internet. They finally went to the bedroom to continue this call and response type of sharing. An hour or so went by and it was time for me to leave. I went to the bedroom to let them know I was leaving, and they were still going strong. I smiled bid my adieu, and headed home. I found out later that this sharing went on late into the night and continued the next day. Lesley had connected with Mom through music.

The holidays passed Lesley and her husband headed home, and life seemed to go back to normal. A couple of weeks after this event, unbeknownst to me, Mom called Lesley and ask if she could find her a personal CD player. My technophobe Mother asking for a CD player! Lesley found her a Walkman type CD player and picked up a Creedence Clearwater Revival CD. I was in Austin the following week for a Landmark class, and Lesley told me about what was going on. She asked me to take the CD player to her and explain to her how to operate it.

On my way home from Austin I stopped in to give Mom the gifts Lesley had sent. To explain the operation of the player I had to put the CD in the player as an example. The moment I hit play Mom's face lit up like a Christmas tree. It was the most incredible sight to behold. I sat there in amazement not wanting to finish explaining the rest of the button functions, as that would interrupt the moment. Finally the song ended and I finished explaining how to operate it.

On my way home I was thinking about what I had observed. Lesley had created a possibility of connection, for herself, by sharing music. That opened up the possibility for my Mother to overcome her fear of technology so she could connect to the music she has always loved.

This is the power of sharing.

2 comments:

  1. thanx for sharing (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story! Your writing is so lucid--most people have to write many, many years to attain the kind of clarity and ease you have here. Kudos! And what a moving event. Quite touching! Thank you, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete